Monday 21 July 2014

Is it okay to make a Jesus doll?

When my sister-in-law asked me to be her daughter's godmother, I was over the moon excited.  Obviously I love her so much already, but it is so nice to have that extra special relationship! Especially since my husband and I have been struggling with starting our own family, I feel like this is such a beautiful beam of sunlight to brighten my dark days.  Even if we don't succeed in having a family of our own, at least I know that there is an awesome kid out there that I can shamelessly spoil and shower with love!

For her baptism, I wanted to give her a couple gifts.  First, I found a child's picture book bible which is perfect for the occasion.  Then I found a pair of beautiful tiny silver cross earrings.  And I found a book about the Story of Easter that has the cutest Jesus I have ever seen.
I felt like I wanted to have something else special and homemade to give her (because that's kinda my thing), but I really didn't think I would be able to finish her quilt in time.  I thought about making a lion and a lamb dolls, because that image really resonated with me as a child.  But then I thought "Wait... is okay to make a Jesus doll?"  I wanted to make a doll using the cutest Jesus ever as my model.

So I went to the fabric store and tracked down some fabric that looked similar to his robe, and set to work.  I used the doll pattern found here (Makeit-Loveit blog), to construct the body and head.  I had to modify the hair and include a beard (all out of felt), and I used felt to make his cute little eyes and pink cheeks.  To make his big smile, I stitched over a piece of black cord to attach it to his face.  I hand sewed the skirt portion of his robe to attach it to the body, and tacked on the ribbon belt as well.  This is truly a one-of-a-kind doll!



This project came together pretty quickly (thank goodness, I had this brainstorm just a few days before the baptism!), and was a lot of fun to work on.  I definitely want to keep experimenting with making more dolls!

No comments:

Post a Comment