Friday 4 July 2014

Shabby Chic First Birthday Cake

I spent today enjoying an exciting cake project for my beautiful Goddaughter, my niece Briar Rose.  I was given virtual free reign by her mom for the cake; she requested it to fit with the shabby chic theme, and to be pretty and girly.  She needed the cake to feed 40 people, so I decided to do a two tier cake.  I made Four-Egg Yellow Cakes with a homemade strawberry filling, and used a classic buttercream for the icing.  Now to decorate: I immediately thought "pink, of course", then took to Pinterest for some inspiration.  I have always loved the look of buttercream rosette cakes, but assumed it was beyond my skill set. But..... I found an online tutorial (Thrifty and Chic) and decided to give it a try, since I can definitely use a piping bag.  I covered the top tier with the rosettes, and it was actually very simple! 
Rosettes
I wanted to do a nice ruffle on the lower tier, because nothing says shabby chic to me like ruffles.  Again, I found an online tutorial (Jessica Cakes) and picked up my icing bag.  
Ruffles
It turned out so lovely, I think the rosettes will be my new go-to when I need to do something quick and pretty!  I topped it with a cute bunting I made out of burlap, lace, ribbon, and pearls.  I made the little fabric pompoms (again, tutorial: Lovely Indeed) out of some leftover fabric from a dress I made for Briar Rose last Christmas.  I love the bunting, too!  
Happy Birthday Bunting


Fabric pompoms


The finished product!
And what first birthday party is complete without a personal cake for the birthday girl?  I made a giant cupcake and decorated it with the rosettes on top, and a vertical ruffle on the sides to mimic the cupcake liner.  
Cupcake smash cake
She loved it!  And did a great job "smashing" it!  
Not too much left!

No comments:

Post a Comment