Monday 26 January 2015

Mini quilt mania!

I have completed my first swap via Instagram, and so far, I have loved the process! I signed up for the Schnitzel and Boo Mini Quilt Swap in November, and was assigned a partner. The whole thing is a secret swap, so your partner doesn't know that you have them, and you don't know who has you. Then, you get to know your partner by reading their signup questionnaire, following them on Instagram, looking at their Pinterest pages, or reading their blog (if applicable). Once you have a feel for their design esthetic, favourite designers/colours, and personality, you make a mini quilt to send to them (and some fun extras as well).  It can be a little stressful at times making something for someone in secret, especially someone you don't actually know, but it is quite a lot of fun. You take a little of them, and a little of you, and hope for the best! 

I decided to make a mini quilt using a couple panels from Alison Glass's Feathers pattern. She said she likes bright colours on dark backgrounds, so I chose a dark charcoal grey for the background and a mix of prints in greens and blues. I used a yellow print for the binding. This was my first time foundation paper piecing, and it was so much fun. You can't argue with that kind of precision! 
The front all finished
I did straight line quilting a quarter inch apart to fill in the spaces between and around the feathers. I didn't quilt over the feathers, because I wanted them to really pop. I am often terrified to quilt. I am scared that the quilting will ruin the quilt, and that all the hard work piecing will be a waste. In this case though, I think it only enhanced the piecing! 
Love the quilting
Detail shot


Close up
The label on the back
With the mini done, I turned my attention to some fun extras. I chose some scrapbooking papers and stickers because she likes to scrapbook, some pencil crayons because the packaging remained me of the quilt, some Himalayan rock salt, because those crazy pink crystals make me grin every time I see them, some cozy socks because cozy socks are great, and some candies from a local company (Morden's of Winnipeg-try their Russian Mints!). 
The whole package
I packaged everything up in a cardboard box and decorated it with a quilt block from Tula Pink's 100 Modern Quilt Blocks. 
The packaging
This I wrapped in brown paper, addressed, and sent it on it's way! My partner received it and had only good things to say, which is so nice! 

I really enjoyed the whole process of this swap. It was exciting meeting so many new people with similar interests through Instagram, and their feeds are constant sources of awe and inspiration. I loved the "stalking" portion of the game, getting to know a person you have never met, and making them something you hope they like, without being able to get their feedback. The whole swap community was so helpful, supportive, and encouraging from start to finish. I can't wait to see what is in the mail for me!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment