Friday 27 March 2015

Postcards from the city

My mother in law told me that she was wanting a small zippy pouch to hold a few small makeup essentials for on the go. So I made her one!

I just received my Cotton and Steel Club package in the mail this week, and in it was a print with postage stamps on it. 
Postage stamps are second from the top on the right
I thought it would be cute to make a pouch that looked like a postcard using those stamps. 

I used pinking shears to cut out the stamps I wanted to use, then fused them to the base fabric with fusible web. I top stitched over them, then used a couple of the fancy stitches on my machine to "cancel" them. 

Then I hand embroidered her name in the address spot 

I made a strip for the bottom, to look like  the stickers they put on mail if it goes by air. I used a line from the Heartfelt fabric that says "the little things", since that is what the pouch is used for! 


Then for the front of the postcard, I made a city scene with a print of houses, and a wrought iron fence from the Bluebird Park fabric line. 


And last but not least, I finished it off with a pink rose and brass charm for the zipper pull. 


The inside lining coordinates well with the outside colour scheme. 


I love how this bag turned out, and I think I may have to make myself one next! 

No comments:

Post a Comment