First, the mini quilt. I waffled back and forth about what I wanted to do, until inspiration hit in the shower (where I do all my best thinking). I decided to recreate Family Owlbum as the main feature of the quilt.
The owls were pretty challenging. I combined a few different techniques to achieve the final project. I used English Paper Piecing to make the large eyes and the baby owls. I used machine and hand applique to attach all the small parts, and embroidery to draw around the eyes.
|The owl family|
|The front, before quilting|
On the back, I attached a label made to look like a Charley Harper nest.
|This is my favourtie label ever|
|Free motion stiples|
|Love the pop!|
In hindsight, I wish I would have centred the quilt label on the back to coincide with the owl on the front. It ended up half in and half out of the stiples, which I think is less than ideal.
|The back, post quilting|
|Those elephants were perfect for the inside!|
|Jar and button courtesy of Grandma's hoarding!|
If you liked this post, you may be interested to see what I received in this swap!
And if you love reading about my love for Charley Harper, here's a few other gems for you.